Social Security

If you reside in Botswana and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in London.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at:

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

If you are 12 years or older and applying for a Social Security number for the first time, you will need to appear in person, either at a U.S. consular post abroad or at a Social Security office in the U.S.  You will need the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport
  • School records – From twelve years of age to date and/or employment and/or medical records documenting residency outside of the U.S.