Notarial Services

Due to restrictions set by local banks we cannot accept U.S. currency printed earlier than 2007 or with any stamps, writings or markings on them. We regret the inconvenience.

Documents We Notarize

Only certain documents can be notarized at a U.S. Embassy for use in the United States.

Prepare your document(s): Be sure to complete the document(s) as much as possible before the appointment but do not sign the document!  The fee per Consular seal is US$50, payable in U.S. dollars, BWP equivalent, or U.S.-issued credit card.

True Copy of a U.S. Passport: A consular or notarizing officer can take a true copy of a U.S. passport.  Any person may present the U.S. passport to be copied.  The appointment must be made in the name of the person attending.

Sworn Statement/Affidavit; Power of Attorney; Financial or Real Estate Transaction Document(s):  Ensure that you understand the contents of the document. A consular or notarizing officer cannot explain it to you. Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization.  Bring instructions from the end user in the state of jurisdiction. The Embassy cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation.

Statement of Consent (DS-3053): If you are applying for a passport service for a child under 16, and only one parent is able to appear, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.   You must present your government-issued photo I.D. (such as your U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) together with the Form DS-3053.  There is no fee for this service.

We can provide notary and certified copy services for U.S citizens and citizens of other countries on documents for use in the United States or for limited purposes overseas, including affidavits and power of attorney forms.

Documents We Do Not Notarize

  • We cannot certify or apostille copies of U.S. state-issued documents, such as birth, marriage, divorce, or death records.
    • The Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued is authorized to affix the Apostille on a birth/marriage/death certificate.  The apostille will officially authenticate the signature and seal of your state issued certificate for use in another country.  State-issued documents destined for use in Hague Apostille countries such as Botswana may be authenticated by the Competent Authority in the state where the document was executed. A list of these authorities in each state can be found on the Hague website here.  See also the Department of State website here.
  • We cannot certify copies of U.S. state-issued driver’s licenses.  See above link for how to obtain an Apostille.
  • We cannot certify copies of U.S. school transcripts.  Please contact the issuing educational institution. More information is available from the Department of State website here.
  • We can NOT provide Medallion Signature guarantees for banks.

What To Bring

  • Passport or official ID.
  • The document for notarization, completed and ready for signatures.
  • Know where you need to sign on your own documents.
  • Be clear on what you need to have notarized or certified.

Please note:

  • Do NOT sign any document until asked to do so by the Consular Section.
  • If your document requires witnesses, please bring them with you as the Consular Section is unable to provide them.