Obtaining a CRBA

Please consult the “Report of Birth Abroad Checklist” (below) for detailed instructions on completing a Consular Report of Birth Abroad application. Once you have completed the application, please make two copies of all your supporting documents and bring them with you to the appointment.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad Checklist – U.S. Embassy Gaborone (PDF 603 KB)

If the transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following in person by the applicant (child) and at least one parent, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, at the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone.

  • Completed (but not signed) CRBA application Form DS-2029 (PDF 105KB)– all questions must be answered.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, they must complete the Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support, have it notarized by a Notary Public (in the U.S.) or a U.S. Embassy which must be submitted in their absence.
  • Child’s Birth Certificate.
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate if applicable.
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages if applicable.
  • U.S. citizen parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate).
  • U.S. citizen parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth.
  • Applicable Fee. All fees are subject to change without notice.

Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s Social Security Number and first U.S. passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA. Once you have completed all appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, make an appointment HERE.

If you need further guidance on registering the birth of a U.S. child in Botswana, please contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone.

You must appear in person with your child at the U.S. Embassy. You may apply for a passport and Social Security Number when you submit your child’s Report of Birth Abroad application.

For more information about Reporting Your Child’s Birth Abroad and for the application form, please visit the State Department’s website.

A Consular Report of Birth can only be prepared at the U.S. Embassy. It cannot be prepared if the child has been taken back into the United States, or, if the person is 18 years of age or older at the time the application is made.

If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet the transmission requirements and the child is under 18 years of age, the child may be eligible for expeditious naturalization under the Child Citizenship Act 2000.