Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (3/30/2020)
Event: COVID-19 Cases Confirmed in Botswana, Presidential Address Tomorrow
Botswana’s Ministry of Health confirmed three cases of COVID-19 in the country as of today, March 30. The Government of Botswana will likely announce a nationwide lockdown soon, and President Masisi plans to address the nation at 9am on March 31.
There are currently no commercial flights entering or departing Botswana. U.S. citizens who are still considering returning to the United States but were unable to depart on a regular commercial flight should contact the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone at the following link and fill out the form carefully, then submit:
Botswana Repatriation Request Form
For those in northern Botswana, Ethiopian Airlines is still operating daily flights out of Lusaka, Zambia through Addis Ababa to the United States until further notice. U.S. citizens may exit Botswana using the Kazungula ferry crossing of the Zambezi River, and can apply for a visa upon entry into Zambia. Questions about visas and crossing can be directed to Zambian immigration authorities at email@example.com and www.zambiaimmigration.gov.zm or by phone at +260 211 428 800 Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 17:00. There are flight options from Livingstone to Lusaka, or a private car may be arranged to avoid contact with more individuals on buses or public transport in Zambia. Speak to your hotel or lodge in Botswana about arranging transportation to Lusaka. They may or may not be able to assist.
Effective March 23, U.S. Embassy Gaborone has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information at https://bw.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/.
Individuals who demonstrate specific symptoms related to COVID-19 should call their health care provider or the MoHW Emergency Operations line at 363-2273/2756/2757 for further instructions.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Botswana
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Facebook page for latest travel restrictions.
- S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter