April 28, 2020
Event: Phased Reduction in Extreme Social Distancing
President Masisi announced the extension of the period of extreme social distancing for one additional week, through May 7, with additional phased reduction in regulations based on the threat level of the virus.
If the threat eases, the lockdown may be lifted more quickly. If the threat exceeds the current level at any point, the original 28-day lockdown rules, or stricter rules, will be put back in place. Please continue to check the Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Facebook page for the latest updates on rules and guidelines.
The Government of Botswana announced that those in need of movement permits during the state of emergency may apply online at https://www.gov.bw/.
Those who wish to leave their homes for all purposes must get a travel permit from the Government of Botswana.
- Enter your personal details and contact details of two household members.
- Choose your category of permit.
- You will be notified by SMS of approval or denial.
- If denied, do not re-apply until the next business day.
- You may have one permit at a time and only use the approved permit for its intended use.
There are currently no commercial flights, special flights or government charters available. Be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume or borders open, which could be several months.
U.S. citizens who remain interested in returning home should contact us at the following link and fill out the form carefully, then submit:
If you are travelling with others, you must complete the form for each person in your group. Entering your data into this form will add you to a list to get separate emails with flight information and logistics. If you have already completed this form, please do not complete it again. If you have previously completed the form and no longer wish to depart Botswana, please contact us at ConsularGaborone@state.gov so we can remove you from the list.
Repatriation requests can also be made through our website at https://bw.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/.
In the meantime, please do not forget to register in STEP for the latest alerts and information from the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone at https://step.state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Botswana.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Facebook page for latest travel restrictions.
- Call 997 for instructions from the Government of Botswana if you think you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter