Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (6/16/2020)
Event: Gaborone Zone Lockdown Lifted
The Government of Botswana announced the end of extreme social distancing in the Gaborone COVID-19 zone starting today, 16 June 2020. The restrictions on movement will return to the regulations in force on 12 June 2020. Interzone permits for travel between zones are still required, and you may apply for a permit online at www.gov.bw.
If you are interested in departing Botswana, you can still register your interest with the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone using the following link:
Botswana Repatriation Request Form
If you are travelling with others, you must complete the form for each person in your group. Entering your data into this form will add you to a list to get separate emails with flight information and logistics. If you have already completed this form, please do not complete it again. If you have previously completed the form and no longer wish to depart Botswana, please contact us at ConsularGaborone@state.gov so we can remove you from the list.
Repatriation requests can also be made through our website at https://bw.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/.
Everyone who has registered using this form will receive further details on any possible upcoming flights via email using the contact addresses provided in the form.
In the meantime, please do not forget to register in STEP for the latest alerts and information from the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone at https://step.state.gov.
If you are looking for the latest announcements, the best place to find the updates, lists, regulations, and maps is at https://twitter.com/BWGovernment.
Since the outbreak there have been 60 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Botswana. The number continues to rise. Please continue to check the Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Facebook page and https://twitter.com/BWGovernment for the latest information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Botswana.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness’ Facebook page for latest travel restrictions.
- Call 997 for instructions from the Government of Botswana if you think you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter