Last updated: 07/11/2022
Effective Sunday, June 12 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, the CDC rescinded its Order requiring all airline or other aircraft passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 to board any aircraft destined to the United States from a foreign country. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Botswana has been designated Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions by the Department of State. The CDC has designated Botswana Level 3: COVID-19 High.
- Gatherings included funerals, weddings, business meetings, and workshops, are permitted with continued safety protocols: wearing of masks, social distancing, and the use of hand sanitizers when regular handwashing is not accessible.
- Restaurants are operating at full capacity as permitted by their trading licenses.
- All sports and recreational activities are permitted.
- The sale and consumption of alcohol are permitted.
- All schools are open and follow safety protocols.
- Connecting commercial flights into Botswana are operating from hubs in South Africa and Ethiopia. S. citizen travelers are advised to confirm COVID-19-related entry requirements for transit countries.
- Medical evacuations for serious injury and illness are typically organized to South Africa by tourist agencies and safari companies.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Botswana? Yes, PCR and antigen testing are available.
- Are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Same-day test results are widely available through private clinics such as Diagnofirm. Cost for PCR testing at Diagnofirm is 750 BWP (~65 USD); antigen testing is less expensive. The costs are borne by the individual being tested; payment can be made by cash or credit card.
- Test results are normally provided by email, text message, and hardcopy.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Botswana approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes, multiple vaccines are approved and available for citizens and non-citizens alike.
- Which vaccines are available in Botswana? Both FDA-approved and WHO Emergency Use-listed vaccines are available.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Fully vaccinated travelers with proof of vaccination do not require a negative COVID-19 test. Others are required to show proof of a negative PCR COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in Botswana.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes, health officials check vaccination records and, in the absence of proof of vaccination, PCR test results.
- Travelers are granted visa-free entry for 60 days at the Port of Entry.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Is quarantine required (or recommended) for arriving international travelers? ? No.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes, with mandatory masking
- Is public transportation operating? Yes, with mandatory masking
- Routine citizen services are performed on an appointment basis. Email ConsularGaborone@state.gov for appointment requests.
- Limited visa services have resumed with COVID-19 protocols in place.
U.S. Embassy Gaborone
- Phone number: 395-3982 (business hours); 373-2222 (after hours)
- Email Address: ConsularGaborone@state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
State Department Consular Affairs
- +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Botswana Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Botswana.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Other links: