July 13, 2023
As prepared for delivery
Honorable Kagiso Mmusi – Minister of Defence and Security
Honorable Lefoko Moagi – Minister of Minerals and Energy
Honorable Anna Mokgethi – Minister of Labor and Home Affairs
Honorable Beauty Manake – Assistant Minister of Trade and Industry Honorable Molebatsi Molebatsi – Assistant Minister of Agriculture Deputy Assistant Secretary Joy Basu, Bureau of African Affairs, U.S. Dept of State Members of Parliament
Enoh Ebong – Director, U.S. Trade and Development Agency
Ambassador Gladys Mokhawa – Permanent Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Ms. Malebogo Morakaladi – Permanent Secretary of Trade and Industry
Mr. Pontsho Pusoetsile – Permanent Secretary of Communications, Knowledge and Technology
All permanent secretaries
Ambassador Kitso Mokaila – Ambassador the Republic of Botswana to the U.S.
Ambassador Peter Hendrick Vrooman – U.S. Ambassador to Mozambique
All Ambassadors and High Commissioners
Osvaldo Gomez-Martinez – Deputy Assistant US Trade Representative
Florizelle Liser – President and CEO, Corporate Council on Africa
Aysha House – Vice President of Congressional and Public Affairs, Millennium Challenge Corporation
British Robinson – Coordinator, Prosper Africa
Cynthia Griffin, Regional Senior Commercial Officer for Sub-Saharan Africa, U.S. Department of Commerce
Naana Frimpong – Partner, DLA Piper
Sara Sullivan – Chairperson, American Business Council in Botswana
Heads of Corporations and International Organizations
Senior government officials, heads of civil society, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, with all protocol observed.
All protocols observed;
- Thrilled about the success of the biggest U.S.-Botswana event in history. Over 1,000 participants! Congratulations to Florie Liser and His Excellency President Masisi for pulling this off.
- USABS puts Botswana on the map for those looking to do business in Africa.
- In my time here, I already know that Botswana has all the elements conducive for safe and viable investment: democratic, good fiscal policy, educated workforce, and business friendly climate. The people of Botswana have every right to be proud of their beautiful country.
- This evening’s event is really for Batswana companies to showcase the opportunities that Botswana has to offer and for U.S. companies to showcase the innovation for which they are recognized globally.
- It is fitting that the theme of the summit is “Enhancing Africa’s Value in Global Value Chains.” As many of you know, Botswana has done just that in a historic agreement between Botswana and De Beers this month, Botswana will benefit unprecedented value in the diamond sector value chain. This is excellent for Botswana!
- At the Africa Leaders Summit in December, President Biden announced a new Digital Transformation with Africa (DTA). I am excited to announce that Botswana is one of the first beneficiaries of this initiative. This week, Amazon Web Services and Choppies announced that they have partnered to develop a Farmer’s App. The app will match farmers and their produce supply directly to grocery buyers. This will streamline the logistical and financial processes from field to fork. This is yet another step in realizing His Excellency President Masisi’s Reset Agenda which prioritizes a knowledge-based economy.